Old Goa is the former capital city of Portuguese India. As a UNESCO World Heritage Site, Old Goa houses some of the grandest and oldest churches in the region. The Portuguese general Afonso de Albuquerque arrived here in 1510, capturing the city from Adil Shah.
Under Portuguese rule, Old Goa rapidly became a major metropolis with a population of over 150,000 people at its peak. The most famous churches of Old Goa are the Basilica of Bom Jesus—which houses the remains of St. Francis Xavier, the Sé Cathedral, the Church of St. Francis of Assisi, the Chapel of St. Catherine, the Chapel of Our Lady of the Mount, the Church of Our Lady of the Rosary, the Church of St. Cajetan, the Royal Chapel of St. Anthony and the ruins of the tower of the Church of St. Augustine.
This guided tour is free.