The concept and need for a museum in Patna arose in 1912 when the provinces of Bihar and Bengal were separated. The museum was first established in a commissioner’s bungalow situated on the campus of A.N. Sinha Institute in 1915. Later, it was shifted to the present building after its construction was completed in 1928. It was constructed by the British Raj in Mughal and Rajput architectural styles to conserve and display historical artefacts found in and around the state of Bihar.
Today, it houses a rare collection of archaeological objects obtained from excavations, a rare collection of British period paintings, a personal collection of Rajendra Prasad, the first President of India, among many other antiquities.
This walk will also cover the historical monument of Golghar, which was a granary built during the 1780s under the British Raj.
This guided tour is free.